Based at The Holway Centre, Taunton but covering the county
18 hours per week
Fixed term contract for one year
Somerset Choice Advice is a free, impartial service to help families through the school admissions and appeals process. This is an exciting, challenging and rewarding opportunity to work with parents and families, to support children to secure a school place in Somerset. Based at The Holway Centre, Taunton but covering the county the role is to work directly with young people, their parents/carers and the Local Authority and other agencies to ensure all families have full access to educational opportunities and are able to overcome barriers to applying for a school place and preparing for and taking part in a school admissions appeal.
About the job
We need people who
- are experienced, reflective practitioners with backgrounds who have direct experience of working with families
- have a commitment to supporting young people and their families to overcome the social, cultural and economic barriers with regard to school admissions
- have a flexible approach and are able to meet deadlines
- have the ability to be creative and innovative in supporting young people and their families, often in challenging circumstances.
As a Choice Adviser, you will advise and support parents through the school admissions and appeals processes working in a multi-agency way to ensure equality and fairness. You will also develop and provide knowledge of school admissions, appeals and SEND legislation.
You should be a person who is able to
- Develop good rapport and working relationships with children, parents/carers, Local Authority officers, schools, academies, other professionals and agencies
- Achieve positive outcomes through effective communication and influencing skills
- Empower children, young people and parents/carers to enable them to have their voices heard and be able to present their views to Independent Appeal Panels.
- Problem solve, use your initiative and work autonomously.
For further details or an informal discussion once you have downloaded the job description please contact Helen Leach -Somerset Sendias Manager – 07775027442.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. We offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees including:
- A Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Discounted lease car via salary sacrifice scheme and options for discounts on petrol or diesel.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and so forth.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, childcare vouchers, additional annual leave, computers, mobile phones and health screening.
- Generous annual leave and flexible working arrangements.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle.
- Optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
This post requires a criminal background check via the disclosure procedure (DBS)
Apply online at https://secure1.somerset.gov.uk/careers/details.html?jobId=388
Job ref no: APP00300/JH
Closing date: 23 January 2019