37 hours per week
Salary: £21,589 and £24,799 per annum
The Children with Disabilities Service is part of Somerset County Council’s Children’s Social Care.
The Children with Disabilities Early Support Team work to ensure that the children and young people who access our services receive the right level of support.
As a Family Intervention Worker, for the Children with Disabilities Early Support Team, you will be working with children and young people who require level 3 support (as reflected in the Effective Support for Children and Families in Somerset document) and have a disability that has a significant impact on their daily life and functioning; this includes the need for support which is in excess of that of their non-disabled peers.
You will case hold, carry out assessments, set up service provisions, along with offering on-going advice and support, such as parenting and behaviour support as required by the young person and their family. You will also carry out reviews of services in place to ensure the service and support continues to meet the young person’s needs. You will work closely with the Children with Disabilities Social Work Team and the Children with Disabilities Resource Team to ensure that the young person is receiving the most effective support for them at any given time.
As a service, we are committed to ensuring that children and young people with disabilities are seen as people first.
About the job
You will be part of an ambitious multi agency team, working alongside statutory and non-statutory partner agencies to ensure improved and sustainable outcomes for children and young people with disabilities.
You will have an allocated case load for which you will be responsible for holding regular reviews of need, desired outcomes, implementing bespoke plans and assessing care packages.
You will have:
- The skills to advocate effectively on behalf of the young person to ensure they are at the centre of all decision making.
- The ability and a willingness to travel across the county as required.
- Experience of working with or knowledge of Children / Young People with Disabilities.
- An understanding of the skills required to engage, assess and plan to support the needs of children, young people and their families.
- Understanding or experience in multi-agency working to safeguard children and young people.
- An ability to work as part of a team as well as being able to work autonomously.
- Organisational skills to manage a case load and ensure that assessments, reviews and plans are completed within timescales.
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and a broad range of IT skills with a minimum of GCSE Grade C (or equivalent) in Maths and English.
If you wish to discuss the role further, please make contact with Helena Wellington, Team Leader for the Children with Disabilities Early Support Team on 07919164919 or Sally Hardwill, Deputy Team Leader of the Children with Disabilities Early Support Team on 07919 540 433.
What we’ll offer in return
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Please note if an internal applicant who is at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment has applied for this role and passed the selection process they will be offered the role over remaining internal and external applicants.
This role requires a DBS clearance
Apply online at https://secure1.somerset.gov.uk/careers/details.html?jobId=683
Closing date: 27 May 2019
Interviews will take place 12 June 2019.