Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service
Fire Safety Protection Inspectors & Trainee Fire Safety Protection Inspectors
Salary range circa £27k to £38k – Relocation Expenses available
Based in various locations throughout Devon & Somerset
Closing Date: 2359hrs 30 April 2021
Are you interested in working for the largest non-metropolitan Fire Service in England? Are you interested in living in the South West of England, close to National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Surfing Beaches, Historic Buildings and Cathedral Cities? Are you interested in a career protecting lives, ensuring safety and protecting the public?
If you are, then Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service (DSFRS) could be the place to work for you.
DSFRS have a number of vacancies for full-time Fire Safety Protection Inspectors. We are looking to employ new members of staff who have the attitude, aptitude, and personal qualities that we need. Existing Fire Safety qualifications are desirable but not essential.
To apply for these job opportunities, you will need to:
- Have an appetite for learning and problem solving
- Demonstrate good communication skills with people representing both internal and external stake holders
- Be both self-motivated and able to work independently, visiting premises on your own, and able to manage your own workload, whilst also able to work positively as a team member.
- Desirable but not essential to have a current Level 3 Fire Safety Certificate or above, or Equivalent Fire Safety Qualifications
- If no Fire Safety qualifications, be able to demonstrate an academic ability to Level 3 or above (e.g. A-Level or equivalent https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels) and/or be able to demonstrate competence in a relevant field of work e.g. Health & Safety, Risk Assessing, Legal Work, Regulatory Inspections, Construction Industry, Fire Sector or similar.
- Demonstrate a motivation to drive down the risk of fire in the built environment and protect life and support Firefighter Safety
- Hold a full current UK driving licence at time of accepting any employment offer
Find out more and apply
The role involves working as part of the Fire Safety Protection Delivery Team across the Whole of Devon & Somerset. You will be working with the Responsible Persons at premises to ensure that High Risk buildings across Devon & Somerset are safe for residents, workers and visitors. Your role will be to apply the Fire Safety Order 2005 to our Risk Based Inspection Programme. There will be opportunity when competent for specialist roles within the team which could include; being involved in Hospital Liaison, Legal Action, Heritage Buildings, Building Risk Review programme or Fire Engineering.
There is also potential to be sponsored to study for a Fire Engineering Degree and also the opportunity of providing out of hours Enforcement Response for additional payment.
You will be provided with any additional training following a GAP analysis against Service needs to enable you to carry out your function. You will be expected to take a proactive approach in your role an also in any further study for qualifications that may be required for the role, some of the study and course work will be in your own time to meet course deadlines. You will need to be flexible, respond positively to change and be prepared for continuous learning and professional development throughout your career.
DSFRS can offer you the beautiful counties of Devon & Somerset with their impressive and varied landscapes to live and work. In addition DSFRS offers an excellent package to all of our staff including a Local Government Pension Scheme, access to free parking, flexible working, training and development opportunities, sports and social clubs and the use of on-site gym facilities. There is also an essential user’s vehicle scheme that may be considered.
We value the diversity of our employees, and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities. DSFRS positively welcomes applications from all suitably qualified individuals, irrespective of people’s age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or other personal circumstances. All applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability.
Themed webinar sessions will be held to provide further information for applicants. The separate themes will have limited spaces and be aimed at:
- Applicants looking to relocate
- Applicants outside of the Fire Service without Fire Safety Experience
- Applicants within the Fire Service without Fire Safety Experience
Please email email@example.com to express an interest in the webinars, dates to follow.
To apply for these roles click Apply Now to see the job description, person specification and evidence criteria which will form the basis for shortlisting.
Note CV’s are not accepted.