Why we want you
If you are interested in supporting young people, this role could be for you. The role is rewarding and challenging. You will be helping young people to repair the harm that has been caused by their crime, build self confidence, learn a new skill or gain a new experience. Use your skills to help others.
What you will be doing
- Build a helpful and trusting professional relationship with a young person
- Work alongside and take instruction from the Reparation worker
- Work alongside and supervise the young person at their reparation venue either with the Reparation worker or independently if appropriate.
- Support the young person around practical skills and life skills to help the young person in their work
The skills you need
- The ability to build appropriate relationships with young people
- Good communication skills
- Calm and patient attitude
- Ability to problem solve and adapt accordingly
- Encouraging and nurturing skills
- Experience of working with children and young people, or the willingness to learn
- Practical skills in the workplace are advantageous but a willingness to learn is essential.
- Act in accordance with confidentiality and safeguarding policies and procedures.
What’s in it for you
- Good quality training
- Opportunity to support young people, and help them turn their lives around
Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all volunteers to share this commitment. This role requires a DBS certificate, which will be carried out by SCC at no cost to you.
Due to the availability of projects, reparation currently takes place in outdoor areas. Access to bathroom facilities and hand washing/sanitiser will be available in most locations. We are in the process of creating a ‘growing space’ for fruit and vegetables at our site in Bridgwater and we have links with other community venues such as the Sustrans cycle network across multiple sites.
Please note, this role requires both an employer and character reference. If this is a difficulty for you, please contact the Volunteer Team on 01823 359200 / email@example.com