Economic & Community Infrastructure Commissioning
Economy & Planning
County Hall, Taunton
37 hours per week
Salary: £33,799 to £37,849 per annum
The Economic Development team is a busy team, which works in consultation with managers and stakeholders to provide policy advice and develop strategic plans for economic growth and resilience. The team commissions and monitors the delivery of projects and programmes related to SCC’s economic development ambitions and required outcomes, as well as attracting significant external funding into the County.
About the job
The Economic Development team are currently looking for an officer to undertake a range of duties including:
- Provision of specialist policy advice and co-ordination on economic growth and resilience issues, particularly in relation to external funding opportunities.
- In consultation with key stakeholders, proposes relevant priorities and targets for economic growth and resilience for inclusion and prioritisation in Somerset strategic plans and supports senior managers in their negotiation
- Commissions the delivery of projects and programmes related to SCC’s economic development ambitions and required outcomes;
- Monitor and review commissioned service delivery against agreed financial and performance frameworks;
- Develop and maintain relationships with a variety of external public and private agencies to deliver projects and for the joint development of policy;
- Co-ordinate and attend meetings with a range of stakeholders, (may involve occasional evening meetings).
You will have recently acquired knowledge of local economic development or have had previous experience of working in a local economic development team.
You will have experience of influencing external funding policy and programmes, with an ability to both collaborate and negotiate with others, ensuring that Somerset’s economic development ambitions are clearly articulated.
With proven project management skills and experience in a related field you will be highly organised and possess a balance of written and verbal communication skills.
Ideally you will have an appropriate degree or equivalent qualification and experience, as well as evidence of continuing personal development and will be aware of the economic issues facing an area like Somerset, as well as of the role of a local authority in stimulating economic development.
To arrange an informal discussion, please contact Melanie Roberts, Service Manager – Economic Policy, on MRoberts@somerset.gov.uk.
What we’ll offer in return
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Please note if an internal applicant who is at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment has applied for this role and passed the selection process they will be offered the role over remaining internal and external applicants.
Closing date: 23 September 2019
Job ref: SCC00821AB