Child Placement & Resources
Countywide service – office base can be negotiated
37 hours per week
Salary: £29,636 to £33,799 per annum
For more information on careers in social care at Somerset County Council visit our dedicated website: https://www.socialcareandmore.co.uk/
The Kinship Care Team is a dedicated county wide team that will undertake the assessment and support of kinship carers. This will include assessing prospective connected persons foster carers and special guardians across the county.
For children already living with connected persons foster carers or their special guardians the Kinship Team will carry out assessments of their support needs and deliver support services to them and their carers.
About the job
We have two exciting opportunities to join and support the development of a dedicated county wide Kinship Care Team. Family and friends care is a complex and unique area of work which requires knowledge, skills, understanding and commitment in relation to both the assessment of carers and delivery of support services. By bringing together the assessments and support functions into one team our aim is to:
- Improve the quality and consistency of carer assessments.
- Tailor the support and supervision provided to connected persons foster carers to meet their specific needs.
- Improve the assessment of support needs and develop & deliver a range of excellent services to meet the needs of this group of children and their carers.
- Improve placement stability and outcomes for this group of children and their families.
You will be required to work flexibly across the service undertaking carer assessments, assessments of support needs and deliver support to children and their carers.
The Kinship Care Team will be the responsibility of the Operations Manager Permanence and part of the Child Placements & Resources structure. You would be joining a stable and supportive resources service who are very committed to improving outcomes for children and the continued improvement journey of Somerset County Council Children’s Services.
Educated to degree level in a recognised Social Care qualification and registered as a Social Worker with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), you’ll have the ability to undertake complex assessments of kinship carers suitability to care for specific children; understand and undertake assessment of carers and children’s support needs; commission appropriate support services and where appropriate deliver direct support to children and their carers.
Positive, adaptable and thorough you’ll be interested in service improvement and passionate about the development of a dedicated kinship care service.
If you think you have the skills, passion and commitment then we want to hear from you.
For more information or an informal discussion about this post please email Richard Scott on RScott@somerset.gov.uk or call on 07970 108174.
What we’ll offer in return
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Closing date: 8 August 2019 Job ref: SCC00673SR
These posts require a DBS clearance.