WINCANTON COMMUNITY VENTURE
Wincanton Community Venture provides a Healthy Living Centre for the people of Wincanton and the surrounding rural area.
Its aim is to reduce health and social inequalities and improve people’s mental and physical health and their life chances, through an holistic, community based approach.
Work Base: The Balsam Centre
Salary: £25,000 pro rata
Term of Contract: 1 year fixed term
Working Hours: 22.5 hours per week
The post holder has a key role in maintaining the vibrancy and success of the Balsam Centre’s delivery.
The purpose of the job is to recruit, manage and support volunteers for the Balsam Centre’s work in Wincanton and in wider South Somerset.
The post holder will be confident in creating new volunteering roles and be instrumental in setting up new group activities, including those run solely by volunteers.
The main responsibilities of the post holder are to:
- Recruit, manage and place volunteers to support the diverse activities of the Balsam Centre, including those of OPEN Mental Health.
- Create and manage new volunteering roles for individuals and groups to support the Centre’s social and therapeutic activities.
- Manage existing and current groups run solely by volunteers.
- Facilitate access to volunteering for people of all ages, circumstances and backgrounds.
- Provide placements that enable the volunteer to gain e.g. skills for employment, personal development or learning opportunities or qualifications.
- Provide an appropriate level of individual and on-going support and advice for volunteers through regular mentoring, supervision and reviews.
- Support and liaise with volunteer led groups e.g. the Health Walks volunteers to facilitate their programme of activity.
- Keep accurate records for monitoring and evaluation purposes and relevant management information and share data appropriately in line with confidentiality, data security and protection protocols and GDPR.
- Work collaboratively with other staff, to ensure adequate support and supervision for volunteers.
- Develop effective working relationships with partner agencies to facilitate referrals and support structures that will ensure that volunteering placements are of mutual benefit.
- Keep abreast of local and national developments and opportunities which support volunteering.
- Contribute skills and knowledge in the context of developing the wider aims of the Centre.
- Participate in team meetings and team structures and support members of the wider team as required.
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably required to further the aims of Wincanton Community Venture
The successful post holder will have the following experience, knowledge and skills:
- A proven track record in volunteer management/co-ordination or equivalent level of people management skills and experience.
- An understanding of the difficulties and challenges associated with a range of mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, low confidence and self esteem.
- Experience of working with people from many different backgrounds
- An understanding of rural issues
- Excellent people and communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong organisational skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Creative thought processes
- Resourcefulness and flexibility
- IT literacy, including a working knowledge of (Access) database.
- An understanding of key concepts such as co-production and peer support.
- Experience of working in the Voluntary Sector.
- Experience of multi agency/partnership working
- Other relevant specialist skills e.g. photography, website, technology, design, creative or practical skills.
For further information and to apply please click Apply Now.
Completed application form to be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 10th May at 5.00 p.m.
Interview date: Week beginning 17th May